I made this delicious salad at the recommendation of my friend (who also happens to be a pretty awesome personal trainer) Heather, when she pinned it for a group of us mommies she is advising as we are currently trying to get healthy.
Of course, because I rarely follow a recipe EXACTLY, I made some alterations to it (which made it quite delicious in my opinion! Check it out!
Stef's Havana Salad
- 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion diced finely
- 1/4 cup leek dops finally chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh fennel tops, chopped finely
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked (you can substitue quinoa or rice pasta here also)
- 15 ounces black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces white northern beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the avocado, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, cumin and black pepper and toss until coated.
- In a small pot brown the minced garlic and add the beans and cook for 5 mins over medium-low heat.
- Add beans, rice, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, leek and fennel to avocado mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Let the salad chill in the refrigerator before serving. (Serve on top of baby spinach and salad greens for an extra burst of healthiness!)
NotesCalories: 298; Fat: 7g; Carbs: 51g; Protein: 11g; Cholesterol: 0 mg. (6 servings)
***The salad keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator. I squeezed 1/4 lime on top of it the other day to give it an extra kick. Delicious! I will definitely be making this again -- and it got the thumbs up from the picky bean/salad eater in the family also (big Max).